CASUAL LIBRARY ASSISTANTS
CASUAL LIBRARY ASSISTANTS
CONTENTS - Position Description
- Capability Framework
- Conditions of Employment
- How to apply
Thank you for enquiring about this position. After reading the information package, if you
would like further information please contact Council’s Library Manager, Janice Ottey, on
1300 445 586.
Applications may be e-mailed to [email protected] or mailed to:
The General Manager
Locked Bag 5
YOUNG NSW 2594
Serving our community
Casual Library Assistants
Location: Hilltops Region
Reports to: Library Manager
Grade: 4 - Hilltops Council Salary System
Conditions of Employment:
Casual loading (25%)
NSW Local Government (State) Award 2020
9.5% Employer Superannuation Contributions
Hilltops Council was established on May 12, 2016 and includes the towns of Boorowa, Harden
and Young and their surrounding villages. It is a well-situated agricultural region, centrally
located in NSW, just two hours’ drive from the national capital in Canberra and four hours from
Sydney. It has a diverse economy with a strong rural base and offers a relaxed, country
lifestyle with all the benefits that can be found in major regional centres.
Primary purpose of the position
This position is responsible for contributing to effective branch library operations through
assisting in the provision of customer-focused services and programs, including maintenance
of collections and service areas.
Within its area of responsibility, this position is responsible for carrying-out the following:
- Providing frontline customer service to members of the Hilltops community, including
potentially working on Saturdays;
- Completing financial transactions, including charges for lost or damaged stock,
processing fines and any other incoming monies, overdue charge procedures and
- Assisting in the delivery of branch functioning practices including tasks such as
membership, lending, mail, data entry, processing resources and office duties;
- Assisting patrons with libraries digital technology services;
- Maintaining library materials and collections;
- Maintaining presentation and cleanliness of library collections and service areas;
- Assisting with the selection of Housebound Readers materials and in delivering and
collecting library resources for Housebound Readers;
- Assisting in the delivery and evaluation of branch library programs and events,
including maintenance of records;
- Facilitating a culture of continuous improvement, collaboration and exceptional
- Undertaking other duties as directed within the skills and abilities of a position at this
1. Certificate III in Library and Information Services, equivalent qualification and/or
equivalent experience in a customer service or library environment.
2. Contemporary industry knowledge and demonstrated experience in a customer
3. Demonstrated effective oral communication skills and ability to communicate with a
diverse group of customers in a courteous manner.
4. Demonstrated ability to work both autonomously and actively participate as a team
5. Demonstrated experience using a computerised library system.
6. Demonstrated ability and competence in cataloguing/classification of library materials.
7. Sound computer literacy and keyboard skills, including experience in Microsoft office
products and internet.
8. Class C (or Provisional) NSW Drivers licence.
9. Willingness and availability for Saturday work, and ability to work across multiple
branches in the Hilltops region.
1. Knowledge of technical services operations including acquisitions and cataloguing.
2. Experience in cash handling and receipting.
Limits of Authority
Act within regulations and Council policies and guidelines. This position will make decisions by
guided practices, procedures and precedent or will be made in consultation with the Library
Workplace Health and
‘There is always time to work safely’. We all have a
responsibility for Workplace Health and Safety. All employees
must observe safe work practices and operating procedures
and comply with the requirements of the WHS legislation and
Council’s Policies and Procedures relating to Workplace
Health and Safety
Code of Conduct
Council’s Code of Conduct sets out minimum standards of
conduct that is expected of employees and which we must
adhere to. Employees must be impartial and fair in dealings
with residents, customers, suppliers, general public and with
each other in order to retain trust, confidence and support.
Hilltops Council supports a workplace free from discrimination
and harassment. It is the responsibility of all employees to
ensure that they treat all colleagues and customers with
respect and professionalism without regard to non-relevant
criteria or distinctions.
Policies and Procedures
Comply with all Council’s Policies, Management Guidelines
- Provide effective service to Council customers and the
- Provide effective service to internal customers.
- Present a positive image of Council.
Capabilities for the role
The Local Government Capability Framework (LGCF) describes the core knowledge, skills
and abilities expressed as behaviours, which set out clear expectations about performance in
local government: “how we do things around here”. It builds on organisational values and
creates a common sense of purpose for elected members and all levels of the workforce. The
LGCF is available at https://www.lgnsw.org.au/capability
Below is the full list of capabilities and the level required for this position.
Local Government Capability Framework
Capability Group Capability Name Level
Display Resilience and Adaptability Adept
Act with Integrity Intermediate
Demonstrate Accountability Intermediate
Communicate and Engage Intermediate
Community and Customer Focus Intermediate
Work Collaboratively Adept
Influence and Negotiate Adept
Plan and Prioritise Intermediate
Think and Solve Problems Adept
Create and Innovate Adept
Deliver Results Adept
Assets and Tools Intermediate
Technology and Information Adept
Procurement and Contracts Intermediate
Position Library Assistant
Grade Grade 4
Salary range The ordinary hourly rate for this position is between
$29.34 and $32.50 per hour, plus 9.5% superannuation.
Loadings applicable A casual loading of 25% is paid on every ordinary hour
Award Local Government (State) Award 2020
Employment status Casual, as-needed
Following initial training, our Casual Library Assistants
may be based-out of any of our library locations in the
region: Harden, Boorowa or Young libraries.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a full application, including the
following to [email protected] :
- Cover Letter,
- Statement Addressing Selection Criteria,
- and a copy of your Curriculum Vitae (résumé)
Please address applications to Janice Ottey, Library Manager.
APS4 - Various PositionsNational Library of AustraliaOpportunity to work at one of Australia's leading cultural institutions Be a part of the Library's exciting new future APS4 - $65,641 - $70,878 The Library is evolving10 hour agoShareCanberra ACT
Learn to Swim Instructors (Aquatic Educators)Maroondah City CouncilLocation: Aquahub and Aquanation Learn to Swim Instructors (Aquatic Educators)Casual positions Location: Aquahub and Aquanation Maroondah City Council is committed to12 hour agoShareCroydon VIC
Ward ClerkTasmanian Government$56,640 - $61,069 a yearWard Clerk - Short Stay Surgical Unit (522473) Tasmanian Health Service Tasmanian Hlth Service - Northern Region Launceston General Hospital Applications must be16 hour agoShareLaunceston TAS
Creditors ClerkHarvey NormanJob no: 531734Work type: Full TimeLocation: DubboCategories: Retail AdministrationFull Time Position Paths for career progression with a trusted national brand Discover16 hour agoShareDubbo NSW
Guest Service Agent Casual - InterContinental Sanctuary Cove ResortInterContinental HotelsDescription About us At InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts our role is to put the glamour into international travel. That’s where you come in. When16 hour agoShareSanctuary Cove QLD