Trainee Biosecurity Officer
Department of Agriculture & Water Resources - Norfolk Island
$48,952 - $51,888 a yearApprenticeship
- APS 1 - $48,952 - $51,888 per annum plus superannuation
- Biosecurity Operations Division
- Norfolk Island
- We are seeking for an applicant interested in learning about the important work of the department and supporting the biosecurity operations on Norfolk Island.
- The position is open to a graduate, tertiary student or school leaver from Norfolk Island and has been designed to provide a workplace experience and a unique opportunity.
- All training will be provided
Who we are
Biosecurity Operations Division delivers nationally integrated biosecurity regulatory activities to ensure goods, conveyances and travellers meet Australia's and the external territories' import requirements. Division operations include policy and regulatory control setting across imported food and biosecurity risk pathways, as well as the delivery of assessment, inspection, community engagement and contact centre services. The division also partners with industry to improve the delivery of regulatory functions. The division spans a range of regulatory activities that plays a critical role in reducing risk and shaping our nation to become one of the few countries in the world to remain free from the world’s most severe pests and diseases.
The Maritime and Regional Ports Pathway delivers regulatory inspections of goods and vessels arriving in Australia and the external territories to verify compliance with biosecurity requirements. Maritime and Regional Ports works with policy divisions and risk owners within the department to influence and inform operational policy and deliver regulatory inspections in accordance with legislative requirements, national standards and within an integrated, risk-based operating model. The group has a national footprint with a presence in all capital cities and major regional ports and in Australia's external territories.
The Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment is responsible for biosecurity operations on Norfolk Island. The department's role is to manage the risk of pests and diseases entering Norfolk Island to reduce any harm to local animals, plants, human health, the environment and the economy under the Biosecurity Act 2015 (Act).
As a Trainee Biosecurity Officer, you will assist with:
- the inspection and assessment of arriving aircraft and passengers
- the inspection and assessment of arriving air and sea cargo
- the assessment of sea vessels including Cruise Ships and the clearance of passengers and crew
- the inspection and certification of export live animals, plants and plant products
- the administration and recording of statistics and data relevant to the department's biosecurity and export functions.
Skills and capabilities
The successful candidate will have:
- the capability of working independently
- the ability to undertake and complete relevant training
- demonstrated client service and stakeholder management skills.
Knowledge and experience
The successful candidate will have:
- an ability to quickly gain knowledge of the department's biosecurity operations
- demonstrated interest in science and the work of the department.
Eligibility and other requirements
Citizenship - To be eligible for employment with the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry you must be an Australian citizen.
Security Clearance - This position requires a Baseline Vetting security clearance. You will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
Pre-employment Check - Your suitability for employment will be assessed through a pre-employment screening process. This process includes a requirement to undergo and satisfy a National Police Check, referee checks, character clearance and where required a pre-employment medical assessment, specified mandatory qualification(s) validation and a probation period of 6 months.
Attention - In the recruitment process, legitimate companies never withdraw fees from candidates. If there are companies that attract interview fees, tests, ticket reservations, etc. it is better to avoid it because there are indications of fraud. If you see something suspicious please contact us: [email protected]
Jobs that might suit you
Litigation Support OfficerCrime and Corruption CommissionAbout us We have a vision that our communities will be safe and supported by fair and ethical public institutions with a focus on those matters of highest threat to the55 minute agoShareRemote in Brisbane QLD
Administration Officer (Saibai Island)Queensland HealthTell me more... Maximise revenue and access revenue in relation to the Rural & Remote Medical Benefits Scheme. The position is also responsible for providing high55 minute agoShareTemporarily Remote in Far North Queensland QLD+8 locations
Project Support OfficerCity of Palmerston$77,715 - $81,649 a yearFull-timeModern, dynamic and contemporary working environment 12-month Opportunity - Level 4 ($77,715.44- $81,649.35 + Super) Six weeks annual leave! Plus wide range of4 hour agoSharePalmerston NT
Media OfficerAustralian Bureau of Meteorology$68,878 - $83,683 a yearShift workAPS Level 4 - APS Level 5, Ongoing $68,878 - $83,683 + 15.4% super All Bureau capital city office locations will be considered We are Australia's most trusted4 hour agoShareAustralia
Retail Customer Service OfficerAustralia PostPart-time +1Shift work +1Job no: 53967286 Brand: Australia Post Categories: Retail & Customer Service Work type: Casual Part Time State: NSW Location: Orange Every year, all over7 hour agoShareOrange NSW+51 locations